Friday, September 08, 2006

I was one of these stories

"It feels as if it were yesterday when I said farewell to my wife and two children, hours before boarding a plane to Iraq, where I would spend the next ten months in the city of Mosul with 1-24 Infantry 25th ID, otherwise known as Deuce-Four. My sniper section was well trained and physically strong. When we left the wire we worked hard and efficiently, quietly and swiftly. Our Battalion turned Mosul upside down looking in every nook and cranny for a determined and frustrated insurgency that could not win. Our merits did not come without a price though, wounds became permanent fixtures of our bodies, minds were tainted and lives were destroyed. I never left my film camera behind, that Nikon was like the eighth member of our team."
Michael Yon
We wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home