Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Gunmen Kill Iraqi Ex-Judge; Hostage Freed

"Former judge Jassim al-Issawi, whose candidacy to join the 55-member committee was later dropped, was a law professor at Baghdad University and the former editor-in-chief of Al-Siyadah newspaper, said Salih al-Mutlak, secretary general of the Sunni National Dialogue Council

Al-Issawi, 51, and his son were killed in Baghdad's northwestern Shula neighborhood, said Abdul Sattar Jawad, current editor of Al-Siyadah.

The core of a violent insurgency plaguing most of Iraq is thought to be composed of Sunni Arabs fighting to overthrow the U.S.-backed, Shiite-led government of Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari. Some militants have begun threatening fellow Sunnis because some of their leaders have expressed a readiness to join the political process.

"The assassination of professor Jassim al-Issawi comes within an organized campaign aiming to liquidate all Sunni figures who will play an important role in the upcoming political process," said al-Mutlak. "Many threats were directed toward Sunni figures in order for them not to take part in the constitutional committee."

On Monday, Sunnis submitted a list of 15 candidates for the Shiite-dominated committee drafting the constitution, but were having second thoughts about a demand by legislators that they first win the backing of a larger Sunni group.

The names of the Sunni candidates have not been announced, but al-Issawi was not on the most recent list. He was dropped in earlier negotiating rounds, officials said."
MyWay

1 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

May they rest in peace.

This sucks. I wish we didn't have to be so politically correct. Then again, I would not want to be in charge. I get angry, and I want everything that moves dead. That isn't good. I know.

Thank you for stopping over at my site earlier. I left a comment for you there.

I hope it will explain my not understanding. (?) (I couldn't think of the right word.) lol.

Are you aware if CB started a new site? I thought he was going to, but I cannot find it. I lost the link. I would sure appreciate it if you could forward the URL to me. Thank you so much for all you are doing. I did not mean any disrespect by my comments at Dagney's.

We have a new site. It is called Love America First. We are trying to gather people who like to write who love our great country, be they Republican, Democrat, or Independent, to combat those who would rather Hate America First.

Actually, we do not spend very much time on them at all! lol. Check it out, and let me know what we could add, subtract, etc. (I probably won't subtract anything. What I mean is find a different approach to say some things.) I want reach out to everyone. I do not believe half of America hates itself. I refuse to believe that.

We are a blessed and a good people. We are very fortunate to have men who are willing to do the dirty work so we may sleep peacefully at night. Thank you.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home