Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Social Security Opened Its Files for 9/11 Inquiry

"WASHINGTON, June 21 -The Social Security Administration has relaxed its privacy restrictions and searched thousands of its files at the request of the F.B.I. as part of terrorism investigations since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, newly disclosed records and interviews show.

The privacy policy typically bans the sharing of such confidential information, which includes home addresses, medical information and other personal data. But senior officials at the Social Security agency agreed to an "ad hoc" policy that authorized the release of information to the bureau for investigations related to Sept. 11 because officials saw a "life-threatening" emergency, internal memorandums say.

The Internal Revenue Service also worked with the bureau and the Social Security agency to provide income and taxpayer information in terror inquiries, law enforcement officials said. Officials said the I.R.S. information was limited because legal restrictions prevented the sharing of taxpayer information except by court order or in cases of "imminent danger" or other exemptions. The tax agency refused to comment."
NYT
Someone must have redefined the term "Republican Party" and forgot to tell me. I hate to say this, but I yearn for the days when we had the real republicans.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think lots of people must have told you that the Republican party has changed.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

You are not the only one. While you are over there, our backdoor is wide open. No one has the will to kick the illegals out of our country.

This information sharing, aren't they supposed to get a special warrent??? I think so, but then again, I have been known to be wrong. :)

11:25 PM  
Blogger madtom said...

Rosemary, welcome to my blog
I saw your response and answered. And by the way I am not "Over there" nor a milblogger. I'm right here where I have always been. Many people confuse this for a milblog and some people that know me still list me in the milblog category because I link to all the milblog post that I can find. The truth is that this little blog needs a category of it's own ;)

Don, I think you've been by here before, but just in case welcome to you too.
So you think someone's been whispering in my ear.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home