Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A candid assessment of our situation

"Popped down to the bazaar yesterday for one of my last patrols (if not the last patrol), and when I got back, the FOB was abuzz with rumors of an impending visit from G1, to inspect living conditions. This on the heels of a visit from IG that had been prompted by someone who, according to rumor, had described living conditions on various FOBs and COPs in our AO as "deplorable," or something like that.
The first thing I'd like to point out is that I've seen deplorable living conditions a few times during my sojourn in the Army, and those instances have all had the following in common:
1) outside in the sand or mud
2) heavy precipitation
3) stinging / biting insects
4) lack of food and/or water
Our FOBs have beds, or at least cots, air conditioning, and well-prepared food. Who goes to Afghanistan and expects a four-star hotel???"
Satirist at War

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home