Thursday, July 21, 2005

Reading Lolita In Basra

"Last summer, I read "Reading Lolita in Tehran." Like Vahal, I wished we would never live to hear of secret women's book clubs in Iraq.

I day or two later, I read in an article about the screening of female students before being allowed into the premises of the University of Basra. The female students complained about Al-Sadr militia and others who command those students to return home claiming their makeup or outfits are not conservative enough. Reading that report brought back my worries while reading Azar Nafisi's book."
Iraqi in America
I wonder if the terrorism and instability are helping to fuel, and conceal the Sadrist actions in the south. Hopefully once things settled down there will be more interest in the rest of the country in this topic

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home