Monday, June 20, 2005

The United Nations Strategy as a Resolution of the Iraq Crisis

"The United States has failed militarily in Iraq, and the situation there is deteriorating rapidly. A protracted guerrilla war is increasingly becoming an unconventional civil war. The US can mount operations against infiltrators on the Syrian border, but cannot permanently close off those borders. The US can prevent set piece battles from being fought by militias. It cannot prevent night-time raids. Seven bodies showed up Sunday in East Baghdad, executed. They were almost certainly victims of this shadowy sectarian war."
Juan Cole
I hate to be rude, so I wont, but I really believe that Cole has lost his grip on reality. Yet to be fair I have not read this comprehensively as I'm busy right now. If after reading it carefully I change my mind, I will report back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home