Monday, September 06, 2010

Afghanistan

"As the plane taxis along the runway at Baghram Air Base the loadmaster lowers the rear ramp parallel to the ground. A blast of cool air sweeps inside the craft. Its refreshing after a 23 hour trip across the globe.

And very different from my experience landing in Iraq where I was greeted by a 122 F degree afternoon breeze.

Its night. And I can barely make out the shadows of mountains looming in the distance. Although I can barely see them I sense they have a powerful presence here.

We are loaded into an assortment of toyota pickups and small bus like vehicles. Then taken to a small camp where I will stay until I can catch transportation to where I am going. The ever present dust, and smell of fuel, urine, and feces is all to familiar.

Another deplyment is well under way."
Chapter: War

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home