Saturday, June 21, 2008

Mosul

"I initially sent this one out to my family back in early May, and quite a bit has happened in Mosul since this time with the Iraqi Army taking the initiative up there:

Imagine yourself flying across Iraq in the middle of the night in an Army helicopter to join the battle of Mosul for a couple of days. Now that is living.

I returned early Monday morning from a couple of days up in Mosul. There is a lot going on up there right now with Al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) trying to make a tough stand. Let me add a few more acronyms to the list here so that I can use them in this email to save me from having to spell everything out. There is now a new acronym to go along with AQI. It is now called AQI/ISI. ISI stands for Islamic Sons of Iraq. AQI was getting upset that people keep accusing them (accurately) of being all foreigners, so they added a little hometown flavor to their name with the ISI piece. When I write “IA,” that stands for Iraqi Army; IP is Iraqi Police. ISF is Iraqi Security Forces. PTT is Police Transition Team.

My trip to Mosul was to spend some time with the PTT team up there. PTTs are US Military Police (MPs) whose purpose it is to teach the Iraqi police how to function as a professional police force. Part of my assessment is to determine how close the IP are to becoming self sustaining. I was actually surprised at what I learned."
Up Country Iraq

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home