Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Snow Patrol

"I staggered towards the latrine, delirious with too much caffeine in my system and not enough sleep, weaving like an indolent zombie stuck on loop in a bad horror movie from the Eisenhower-era. PFC Cold-Nuts bounced into me with a large smile plastered across his face, and the sound that came out of his throat would be considered a giggle in most circles outside of the U.S. Army.

“It’s snowing, Sir!” he said.

“Shut up man,” I said, “it’s too early for that shit.” I may be a young lieutenant, but I wasn’t born yesterday, and as a dabbler in rascality myself, I tend to know when my Joes are trying to fuck with me. I brushed my teeth, put on deodorant more out of habit than caring what I smelled like at the combat outpost, and checked up on the status of my novice attempt at a mustache. (Still pathetic, wispy, and generally horrifying.) I walked back into the main hallway, and spied SSG Boondock across the way.

“We still leaving in an hour?” he yelled.

I checked my watch, and nodded."
Kaboom:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home