Saturday, December 09, 2006

I Was Wrong

""How could the Americans be so stupid?" my father asked. "How could they not think about the possible consequences of removing Saddam?"

"You're asking the wrong question dad," I answered. "The question should be: how did we, Egyptians who should be having at least general knowledge of the Middle East, support this war three years ago."

Writing this post is not easy. Nothing is easy in admitting you were wrong. But if I want to keep this blog genuine and trustworthy, then writing this post is the right thing to do."
The Big Pharaoh
This is something I have not had to suffer. Never having been a supporter of Bush, nor ever having any illusions that he could succeed, or that his stated policy nor his stated strategy, had any chance whatsoever, there is no let don for me. I still support the war for the same reasons that I had in 03, those have not changed. The Iraqi people still have the same chance as they did them to rebuild, something they would not have had if the US would not have toppled saddam. In my mind Iraqi success or failure is not tied to Bush, nor can we as a nation do much more that snub our toe in the door and help keep it ajar so if the Iraqi people decide too, they can walk thru it. Sort of like that exit sign above the fire exits. we can keep the sign lit, but the Iraqi people have to make the move out the door.

I have always thought that if anything Bush's stated policy was hurting Iraqis chances, so maybe not if they are forced to give up on that plan there is even a better chance for an Iraqi success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home