Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Rend Rahim Explaining The Constitution

"Yesterday, I was lucky enough to switch to C-SPAN by the time Rend Rahim started to explain the latest draft of the Iraqi constitution.

She discussed federalism, women rights, distribution of oil revenues and role of Islam in the constitution. She sounded defeated like most of the Iraqi women these days."
Iraqi in America
I saw it too, though I think I fell asleep before the Q&A, not because I was bored, I just saw it very late last night. I remember the first time I saw her, At the ceremony to open the Embassy, what a difference in attitude a year and this constitution makes. But at least she told it like she saw it, and did not try to hide her opinion.

5 Comments:

Blogger Fayrouz said...

Tom,

Fast forward to the Q&A. It's really good.

What was wrong with the "ahah" guy who talked after her?

And I loved the Law professer. You can tell he'll use this experience in his classes. I really couldn't stand that guy.

4:56 PM  
Blogger AK said...

Tom

could be worse, remember trying to read the EU constitution which was a nightmare of jargon

7:53 PM  
Blogger Fayrouz said...

I admit the Iraqi constitution is more reader-friendly.

10:43 AM  
Blogger madtom said...

Fay I was meaning to ask you, are you satisfied with the translations we have seen so far? Legalese is bad enough, and made worse by the language problems.
I had my doubts about the draft, and those doubts were only reinforces when I heard the ex-ambassador basically say the same as I had thought. She is one brave woman, Iraq is lucky to have her.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Fayrouz said...

Tom,

I only read the Arabic version. So, no I didn't compare the two.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home