Sunday, July 06, 2008

Salah Ad Din

"
I am slowly cathcing up to myself. I originally sent this in early June.
Hello everyone,

For my latest travels, I didn’t go all that far, but I did switch gears from the Police Transition Teams to a Military Transition Team, or MiTT. I spent some time with one of our MiTT teams just a little south of Tikrit in Salah Ah Din Province. The MiTT is housed at a little outpost called Forward Operating Base (FOB) Dagger, which sits on a bluff overlooking the Tigris River. To get to Dagger from Speicher, there was no air travel option this time. We went by ground convoy, which can be a little more interesting with the constant IED threat. The route from here to there is covered heavily with Sons of Iraq (SoI) and Iraqi Police (IP) check points, so the IED implanters are having a tougher time getting too many IEDs buried out there right now.

Dagger used to be a US FOB, but it was turned back over to the Iraqi Army (IA) a couple of years ago. In the one attached picture, you can see the old palace, which is now the headquarters for the 4th Iraqi Army Division, or 4IA."
Up Country Iraq

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home