Thursday, July 24, 2008

Kunar Afghanistan soldiers tell their story

"I was wondering about this battle, in which nine brave (overused sometimes, I'm sure, but not here) Americans lost their lives defending an outpost, after I heard it in the news. Here is its recounting. The last paragraph, first and then the rest under the fold:
"It was some of the bravest stuff I’ve ever seen in my life, and I will never see it again because those guys," Stafford said, then paused. "Normal humans wouldn’t do that. You’re not supposed to do that — getting up and firing back when everything around you is popping and whizzing and trees, branches coming down and sandbags exploding and RPGs coming in over your head … It was a fistfight then, and those guys held ’ em off."
Stafford offered a guess as to why his fellow soldiers fought so hard.

"Just hardcoreness I guess," he said. "Just guys kicking ass, basically. Just making sure that we look scary enough that you don’t want to come in and try to get us.""
Asymmetric Military

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home