Sunday, January 01, 2006

"It is specs on the ground where history was born, it is a place where far too many of our young have grown old beyond their years. It is a place where far too many of us paid for freedom with blood. It is a place where my faith in God and humanity have been shattered. It is a place where my faith in God and humanity have been reaffirmed. It is a place where I come to grips with my own life, and the possibility of my end. Yet, despite it all and despite world opinion it is a place where I have found the faith to believe in something that I am willing to fight to the death to defend. To the agnostic, or the atheist here there is more at stake. To the agnostic and atheist this life is all there is, so to be willing to risk it all, to be willing to die for our way of life to me that is just huge. I really want to believe, and despite it all I falter. Yet despite it all I…we are holding the line, and more importantly we are crossing said line, and pushing back with all that we have, so that those of you at home don’t have to sleep with one eye open. Sleep well, for we are here. Semper Adsumus.
This guy is such a good writer. Remember his words when you give away what they have died to defend.

1 Comments:

Blogger madtom said...

Me Again,

I hear you an I understand your concern. I thought we had learned an important lesson for our experience at Nam. You have to believe me when I tell you that I have no interest in stopping the war or pulling out before our job is done. It is not I who puts our efforts at risk.

It's a shame that we have not grown past our experience, we have not learned our lessons, and we may repeat history. But if that happened it will be because our refusal to come to grips with our past, both our missteps and our victories.
Your always welcome to disagree with me, hopefully by confronting important issues now, and not hiding them in the closet we can in fact prevent a repeat of the sad history you share with us here.

Be well

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home