Sunday, May 29, 2005

AWASH

'It's good that we live in a society where we don't have to regularly clean blood off of the stairs. But it sometimes prevents us from imagining that other cultures don't live with the naivete that we do."
Trying to Grok
I thought this last paragraph was so right on for this weekend, this Memorial Day weekend. As a Cuban American these few words speak volumes to me, they remind me of where I come from, and how lucky I am to be here. I could have just as easily been on the other side, where rooms full of blood are the norm. They also remind me that the freedom and liberty that I enjoy everyday come at a price. No freedom is not free, it's not even cheep, it's comes only to the highest bidder. But yet it's not for sale, and no amount of money can buy it for you. Freedom has it's own currency, it's own markets, and you must pay to play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home