Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Same Malcontents, A Different War: Al-Qaeda & Afghanistan

"I've said it before, but when I last returned from combat, the American People were seriously questioning the possibility of losing in Iraq. Many people asked me in all seriousness if things were of an impossible nature, if it was all for naught, if American lives were being wasted. It was the overwhelming nature of their sincerity that forced me to realize that explaining the reality solely to those I knew or came across was insufficient.

A Viet Nam Vet and friend had warned me of the sour mood of our citizenry and apologized to me that he and his brothers had been unable to turn the tide. I had assured him I was mentally prepared, having studied the worst treatment in history of returning Warriors: the Viet Nam Veterans. I was not prepared for sincere belief in partisan political propaganda that had eroded Support for Our Troops and the Mission.

Veterans and Soldiers banded together in organizations such as Vets For Freedom and Vets 4 Victory in tens of thousands to combat the perceptions that the few hundred weak of the "Iraq Veterans" Against the War spoke for anyone other than their own desire for a spotlight."
War on Terror News

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home