Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hey Will,

What do you think? It's sort of a draft comment I posted. I was not to sure I wanted too, but what the hell, you only live once. Let me know what you think.

***

Better than equal, Punish, Guilt, Slaves, The War of Northern aggression!

(scratching head thinks, minefield)

You have gone all out. How to answer all of that.

But yet I don't look back, I want to know what's back there because it impacts the present, but I am not interested in the past, I can't fix the past. My interest lie in the present. I look towards the future and that is where I want to expend my energy.

I know, I was not there either, I owned no slaves, I'm not guilty of hate or oppression, I don't what to keep anyone out of school. I wish there could be a seat for everyone that had the ambition to higher education, but like all things in life there are limits.

I don't accuse anyone, what I am trying to say to you is, it's in your best interest, my best interest to help raise those that were left behind. Not blame you for their situation. Or charge you for the actions of other for which you nor I had any control. What we need to do is look carefully at our best interest, today. Just think about your children, what world would you like to leave to them. What will their world look like, what opportunities will there be for them and their families. What kind or world will that be.

One in which huge tracks of the urban landscape resemble vast wastelands, riddled with crime, drugs violence, and broken families? I for one don't like that version of the future. I wonder, how will we pay for the jails when the population doubles, triples, quadruples, how will we pay for all the kids growing up without a role model, because they are either in jail, or dead. How will we rid the cities of gangs, when they become more powerful than the authorities.

How do we take back the streets, and build role models for the young men to look up to, Role models that offer an alternative lifestyles to the gang banger, drug dealers, and pimps. How do we bring back the very family values that we all aspire too. How do we compete with the low riders and bling, and grills, and bad boys that in so many ways wield real power on the street.

I'll tell you one thing, ignoring it and turning away, and just worrying about your own problems, and your own family, and looking inward, isn't enough. Look at Cuba, look at Venezuela. You know what people did there? The ignored the very same problems, and it came back to bite them in the ass.

This is why we need to work together to find the right solutions. It is our responsibility to make a better future, today. The only other option I can think of is building higher walls around our communities, putting more police, making checkpoint on every corner, walling ourselves off to the point where we live in a different world. But history has shown us that you cant build walls high enough, you cant put enough checkpoint on the street, secure gates on every driveway, you cant, you cant isolate yourself from the world around you, and still live in it.
How much is all this going to cost you?

I for one don't want to live that way. Anyway I don't believe we could do it for very long, much less afford it.
One day those walls will come crumbling down and there will be nothing between you and them. And they are going to be hungry, well armed, and angry as hell at you.

3 Comments:

Blogger B Will Derd said...

I'll have to get back to you, MT. Busy day ahead, but I'll straighten you out later---- or agree with you, I'm not sure what the hell I think and even less sure that I know what our current government thinks or intends to accomplish. When I am told that we must all take personal responsibility and that the government is going to do more, my head starts to spin.

9:37 AM  
Blogger B Will Derd said...

OK, having read your 'draft' comment again, I still don't know what you are getting at. You're gonna have to make it simpler for me. Which fits in quite well with the Obama era since I still have no idea what he is actually going to do. So much contradiction to soothe the souls.

I do find it interesting that he is the first President in 56 years to miss the Hero's Inaugural Ball which honors medal winners from all branches of the military. He did make the Kanye West MTV bash, though. And that was consistent with his decision to forgo a trip to visit Landsduhl Military Hospital when he did his Berlin gig.

His is going to be the 'responsibility' era--- and he will borrow a trillion dollars from generations to come to make it happen.

Obama will bring about competent honest government. His guy for Treasury is a tax cheat-- or REALLY stupid (I am very familiar with the contract labor- self-employed tax laws and Turbo Tax and he's a deliberate cheater)--- same guy who set up the TARP thing that has already lost nearly 100 billion of taxpayer funds. I just dunno.

5:09 PM  
Blogger madtom said...

You see it wasn't a stand alone post for the blog, but a comment over at Jason's

I wasn't talking about Obama per say, but I can why you might think that. Basic argument is that we can either pay today, like with the "ownership society", or the hated "40 years of liberal policies", or pay tomorrow, 8 million prisoners, vast urban ghettoes, walled in maximum security enclaves of suburbia for us to line in...And Coulters stupid book "Guilty".
I have been making the arguments from the lefty point of view.

You can take part in the liberal bashing over at Jason's with the rest, but just remember, Now that Obama's prez, were taking names.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home