Friday, September 26, 2008

A casual disdain

"I have been casually watching the trailers and buzz about the upcoming movie about three Iraq veterans called "The Lucky Ones" since I got back from my deployment in August. I would love to say its because of some interest in what Hollywood has to say about the war that has consumed my life for the last five years but the truth is I am curious as hell what Rachel McAdams and Tim Robbins will do portraying soldiers.

The reviews have been pretty positive over all and it really seems from the trailers they are trying to give us a fair shake instead of portraying us all as victims or mentally scarred lunatics as all of the other movies produced on the war have done.

Oddly, I was reading the review by Tom Charity on CNN.com this morning when about two thirds of the way down I stumbled on this little gem of a paragraph (emphasis added by me)

"Even so, it's obvious all their options are limited. That could be why they enlisted in the first place."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/26/review.lucky.ones/index.html

As soon as I read it I almost spit my coffee onto my keyboard. In one little short sentence this movie reviewer has said what I hear so often from some members of our society that only people with no options, poor education or are easily fooled by the government join the military."
Armed and Curious

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home