Sunday, August 31, 2008

Military BlogFather Colby Buzzell Not Headed Back to Iraq (Update)


Earlier this month, Colby Buzzell who wrote one of the most notable military blogs on the internet with the codename CBFTW (Colby Buzzell Fuck The War), linked to his September Esquire story that talks about not going back to Iraq, after receiving orders several weeks ago. Thanks to my good friend Mary Ellen, I was able to view an electronic copy of the story.

Here’s an excerpt:

“In times of crisis I called Todd Vance. He was in my platoon, and the two of us got out of the Army around the same time and we’ve been BFF ever since. He strongly encouraged me to find a way out and said, “Look at how fucked-up we are now. Imagine how fucked-up you’re going to be when you get back the second time!”

I then called my brother. “I’ve got news,” I said.

“What?”

“I’m gay.”

“You’re gay? [Pause]. That’s not news.”

“No, I’m serious, I’m gay. I got my orders in the mail today saying that I have to report to Fort Benning, Georgia, in five weeks!”

I was now in the market for some high heels, because my goal was to not go back to Iraq by any means necessary, and I was just going to show up and tell them that I’m gay and ask them if I can go home now. If they didn’t buy it, I’d tell them about my scooter and that I live in San Francisco and there’s a very good reason I live there.”


To read the rest of the story, you’ll have to go pick up a copy of Esquire. The article is a great read. Raw and funny. I mean it's filled with lots of bad words which always make me laugh.

I’d write more like Colby, but I'm pretty sure my Mom would speed over to my house, drive up on the curb without even bothering to turn the car off, roundhouse kick down my front door...then pull me by my ear and ground me from blogging.

Thanks again to my pal Mary Ellen for the information.
Milblogging.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home