Saturday, January 05, 2008

5 JAN 2008 No whining here!

"Good morning, friends back home! Good afternoon, friends in this hemisphere! I was such a total loser whiner for my last post that I thought I would try to suck it up and be a little more upbeat today. The Chris Coppola machine, zero defects!

I actually am amazed at colleagues who can keep their happy face on day after day. They always smile and greet me with exuberance. It may be the end of a 12 hour shift, but they snap to their jobs with enthusiasm. They quip “Every day is a great day”, “It’s a beautiful Air Force Day” and tell me how they are “Living the dream!” I’m much more of a moody scratch. I will have up days and down days. But I’ve got my happy face on. Good sleep and acceptable coffee help.

Here’s why it is so hard. I came in today, and I learned that a troop had passed away. In the lethal explosion, this person had lost legs and most of the face. I’m amazed day after day how we can pull injured men and women back from the brink of death after they have suffered devastating injuries, but it may have been best that we couldn’t save this one. The troop was very young, the same age as many college students who are home with families or off partying through what remains of Christmas break. This brave young person instead chose to be here, serving their country."
Made a Difference

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home