Thursday, December 27, 2007

Hi Friends. It has been a quiet call night so far

"Hi Friends.

It has been a quiet call night so far. Any of you in medicine know that we are afraid of using the all-destructive "Q" word. Any mention of the fact that there hasn't been a deluge of new patients is simply inviting the trauma gods to instantly send a busload of cracked up hemophiliacs your way. So I have thrown all caution to the wind by starting this letter with a sentence containing the word quiet.

This morning, I operated on the girl who had been scalded on Christmas Day. She certainly wasn't the first burn I had seen, and I have seen this pattern of burn hundreds of times back in the US. Her father told us that she had been in the kitchen when it happened. Many of the homes around our base are one or two room dwellings. There is a common room where the cooking is done. Often the stove is unprotected, and some even cook indoors over a small fire. The family had a small stove, and there was a kettle of burning water on it. The little girl, backed into the stove, and knocked the kettle onto herself."
Made a difference
I am really getting sucked in to this blog, and the guy is talking about being short, I'm already jonesing for more, and he's not even gone yet. Shit I hope I can find a replacement before he goes...either that or I'm going to have to talk to someone to get his ass extended..(joking)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home