Thursday, October 25, 2007

I Wasn't Prepared For...

"I had to hurry to get to Atlanta by 1300 today so that I could in-process for a flight that boards at 1815 this evening. Typical. Hurry up and wait. God bless the United States Army.

The wonderful people of the USO provide free wireless internet, which I am now gratefully using to post to the Adventure as I wait for my flight back to the war.

I had prepared for saying goodbye to my children. I set a calm and cheerful example, and being prepared for it kept my emotions more manageable. My kids did pretty well with it, and I'm pretty sure that being calm myself really made a difference for them. I was prepared to say goodbye to my family. It's not easy, but it's something that you know is coming. It's not a surprise, like when you know that you're going to get an innoculation... the pain isn't a surprise."
Bill and Bob's Excellent Afghan Adventure
Thanks Lynnis for the link

I thought people hated the war and Soldiers?

4 Comments:

Blogger B Will Derd said...

Your link is broken, MT.

Most folks seem to treat soldiers well or ignore them from what I have seen. Some parts of the country are more inclined to be open in their support, or more open in their opposition. Every day a plane lands at DFW full of soldiers on their way home to two week R&R and every day. The plane is greeted with a water cannon archway courtesy of the firefighters and there are a couple hundred plus people waiting to greet them with cheers, hugs, handshakes and snacks. Been there and did that a few times and it was great.

On the other hand, I know a couple of soldiers who went on recruitment days at colleges who were treated with hostility and a few cases where a waitress refused service to uniformed soldiers. So there are are some cases, but I do think that all but the most anti-war types show more class than they did in the VN War. You do have the Ted Rall types out there, though.

7:27 AM  
Blogger B Will Derd said...

To be clear, the hostility that was experienced by those I know was in Seattle, not Dallas. I have been around several soldiers in uniform in Texas, taking them to eat, shopping and such while they wait on connecting flights. The first couple of years people were more openly supportive. Now most people don't acknowledge them, except those that have soldiers in their own families. I think that at least 90% of those that say something always mention their son, daughter, cousin, etc. who is also serving. Little kids still seem impressed by the uni and will say so.

7:38 AM  
Blogger madtom said...

OK I fixed the link

I was thinking that an airplane full of people is a microcosm of the world, not to mention America, and as usual I was thinking electoral politics...

6:16 PM  
Blogger madtom said...

I almost forgot to say, looks good for the center. And If your following the polls, the US would seem to be in a purple neon mood.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home