Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Taking The Illegal Path

"Many readers of this blog never experienced living in a country where life is so unbearable that a person would do anything to land into a country where (s)he can sleep at night knowing life will be OK the next day. You're the lucky ones.

In Sydney, I had a customer who would tease me by asking if I arrived to Australia by boat. Thankfully, I arrived there legally. And yes, I know people who arrived to Australia that way. It's an expensive and dangerous root to take. The Iraqi couple I knew lived in Greece for many years. They waited for a country to accept them as refugees without any success. So, they decided to take their chances with a boat. They were lucky to have Iraqi friends in Australia who sponsored and freed them from detention within a short time. I know it's a wrong way to arrive into a country. But, I never lived in their shoes. So, I don't understand how despaired they were at the time to take such a risk."
Fayrouz in Beaumont

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home