Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Step by Step

"Read this report from Fallujah:

Although the area is still relatively hostile, as is all of the predominantly Sunni Anbar province, the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force is extending power lines and laying water and sewage pipes at a steady pace. Rubble and explosive ordinance [sic]--some left over from the fighting and some freshly laid by the insurgents--is being removed. Schoolhouses and hospitals are being fixed and erected. As a bonus, military-age males are receiving good wages to build things instead of blowing up people.
As I traveled through the slowly repopulating city--about half of the original 250,000 are believed to have returned--I saw awesome scenes of destruction. But I also saw thriving markets, stores selling candy and ice cream, and scores of children delighted to see Americans. I did more waving than the beauty queen in the 4th of July parade and the kids squealed with delight when I took their picture--or pretended to.
"
WSJ -Opinion
I posted this paragraph out of this long report for Shirin, we had this debate over and over, and to tell the truth, I miss our debates. I never learned so much about Iraq & Iraqis, than in those firey, and lively exchanges. But Abbas had to poo poo the thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home