Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Paint It Black

"Two nights ago SFC Burt, my PSG, knocked on my door.
"You have to go down to the Battalion Commo Shop and register your web site."
It seems there have been problems with OPSEC and blog sites, not mine but others, I know which ones. Families have discovered through those sites, from my own Battalion, that their sons, fathers, husbands have been killed or wounded before official notice could reach them. Now The Man has decided he needs to know who is writing what. All personal sites, blogs, My Space accounts have to be registered like guns in The States. Part of me thinks it's a good idea; I've been a Soldier long enough to understand the need for action like this but I'm also disappointed. Mass punishment doesn’t always work and it is a sign of poor leadership skills. Whatever. It's done and so is This is Your War."
This is Your War
Dammit I knew this was coming but it's fucking hard to believe. Once again, it's the Day the Music Died. I don't know who you are, or what you do, but I only have one thing to say to whoever it is that keeps bothering the Milboggers.
Fuck You.
I know there is nothing that the Milbloggers can do, but there is something we, the public can do. We can demand an explanation from our elected leaders. What are they thinking?? are they as stupid as they look or what. They are cutting off thier own nose to spite thier face. Milbloggs are one of the best new ways that the soldiers use to stay in touch with their families and inform the public at large, so that we know that they are not just murdering babies.
This is only going to increase the soldiers isolation, and morale, it's bad enough to be half way around the world in a dangerous situation, where it's hard to even call home, it's not like the guys are on vacation, and now they have to be completely cut off. So I guess it's the MSM from now on.
So don't complain if you don't like what you hear on the MSM..... you asked for it.

5 Comments:

Blogger programmer craig said...

You are starting to piss me off. Military personnel do not HAVE free speech. You *do* know this, right? If not, may I ask WHY you are unaware of this?

Bah. Not reading your site any more. Bad for my blood pressure.

5:21 AM  
Blogger madtom said...

You are right they do not have freedom of speech, and they must maintain operational security at all times, as they could be risking the lives of every member of thier group.
But when did they become responsible for "incumbent" security?

8:03 AM  
Blogger madtom said...

By the way, just in case you've managed your pressure and are reading here again. Welcome to my little blog.

4:17 PM  
Blogger madtom said...

Yes but compare that to what was lost. Did you ever have the opportunity to read this blog. This guy was on par with MyWar, or even 365 and a Wakeup. If people out there only hear about the abuse and the baby killings, well it's partly due to the closing of sites like this one which put a human face on anonymous soldiers.

And just think about it if families were getting their news from blogs, cutting them off of the best news source was not the best policy, maybe they should have given a thought to improving the official news service. Ever hear of competition. It's too bad people continue to tow the party line and in the same breath woe the MSN

Oh and just for the record a few weeks latter he started a new blog, lasted for about a month, but must have been found out.

12:05 AM  
Blogger madtom said...

You know I want to retract my last statement, when I reread it, it did not come out right. He did start a new blog, but I am almost sure it had his real name on it. He must have registered with command, but it closed down a month or so latter non the less. If I had to guess I would say they wanted to edit so much out of what he was trying to say that it just became garbage, and that's not what he wanted to put out.

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home