Monday, January 31, 2005

The purple finger revolution.

"I walked forward to my station, cast my vote and then headed to the box, where I wanted to stand as long as I could, then I moved to mark my finger with ink, I dipped it deep as if I was poking the eyes of all the world's tyrants."
IMT

"One problem was the special ink that voters have to dab their fingers with. Many Iraqis were concerned that insurgents would catch them on their way back to Baghdad and recognise people who had voted."
Healing Iraq

"All these fingers are up for you terrorist, anti-democracy, pro-beheading, suicide-bombers, Baathiest, Saddamist and anti-peace people."
Kurdo's World
By the way Kurdos and Zeyad blogs were featured on the BBC clip they were playing on C-SPAN tonight
"This is a very hurried message, while we are witnessing something quite extraordinary. I myself have voted and so did members of my family. Thank God for giving us the chance.

Salaam for now"
The Mesopotamian
"My seven-year old daughter Debbie was moved by the photos of your people's
bravery in this historic moment, and wanted to send you her best wishes from
Korea. As we saw those fingers raised in defiance, we both agreed, "God _is_
great indeed."
Hammorabi
"Entered on the booths and people checked my name and I colored my finger with this great voting color and I got my ballot which was very big (in the size of a poster) all I had to do is to put a sign beside my chosen party, to be honest I was very slow when putting the sign because I wanted to enjoy the moment, putting the ballot in the box was the most difficult emotional time, when I finished Iraqis (which I don’t know) came to congratulating me and shaking my hands"
Baghdad Dweller
"victory"
Diary from Baghdad
Actually I'm a bit jealous, all we get is a sticker.

4 Comments:

Blogger AK said...

On Cspan as well did not know that, the bloggers are getting famous, also they did not say that these were the only blogs they had visited, might have been here

alan

12:14 PM  
Blogger kender said...

I am jealous also. I keep my stickers whatever they get stuck to when I leave the polling place. I have them in my cars, on a folder and one stuck to the back of my drivers license.

The Iraqis are truly the heroes of the day. Perhaps they should make Jan. 31st a national holiday.

12:30 PM  
Blogger madtom said...

"might have been here"

C-span was running the foreign news coverage of the election, they do that for some issues, a BBC news program, maybe it was News Night, but to tell the truth I can't be sure, I caught it like in the middle, and all of a sudden they go to a guy that covers the web, he quotes Kurdo and then Zeyad. The way he said it, it's like he was one of the regulars.... It did get me thinking.. hey maybe he reads this blog as well. But he did not quote me. :(

So just in case the BBC guy is out there, Hi.

8:51 PM  
Blogger madtom said...

"The Iraqis are truly the heroes of the day. "

Yes they sure are.
I think that if there was anyone still out there under the impression that some people cant for one reason or another embrace the fundamental ideas behind democracy, well they are just telling themselves stories.
The only thing that I can see that's holding people inside the backward dictatorships, are the dictators and their supporter. Any and all people that are given a reasonable chance to get out from under the thumbs of the regime that govern them, do so with without hesitation. This should be a lesson for all.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home