Friday, December 10, 2004

on the edge of western Baqubah

"I hang around talking with the XO, Lt. Joshua Kaser and 1st Sgt. Andrew Richard, and at last Fowler says there’s room in a 113, a Vietnam-era tracked personnel carrier -- a kind of big metal box on tracks with an opening on its top at about chest height -- that belongs to a squad from the 82nd Engineers. He makes it clear that fighting is likely. I’m feeling some fear and ambivalence, but I came to Iraq to make art about the war so I’m determined to go along."
All paintings by Steve Mumford
this caught my eye
Madtom

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It caught my eye too, because I went to high school with the XO Josh Kaser. I was just googling his name and came up with your page as well as the page you linked.

Steve Mumford's war paintings are really great. They are kind of like those paintings you see on the news of the court room during high-profile law suits, except instead the material is fascinating. He captures the emotion and urgency of firefights as well as the tedium of other times really well. Somehow the paintings also give you a better look at the daily life of soldiers in Iraq than any pictures I've seen.

12:37 PM  
Blogger madtom said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:08 PM  
Blogger madtom said...

Welcome to the blog. I was very impressed by the paintings, like watercolors or something. To tell you the truth, I don't remember where I got that link, but it might have been from this Blog.
But I cant be sure.
sorry for the slow response
I just saw your message now, for some reason the auto e-mail from blogspot has been very slow the last couple of days

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home