Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Article I

I think I just heard Sen. Leahy ask the Attorney General a line of questioning that the administration can not claim privilege to sidestep. He asked about payments made to the telecommunications companies for their cooperation in the wire tapping. The administration my be able to call those payments state secret, but he can not claim privilege.

This is the first time I hear about any payments to the telecomm, but surly all moneys paid fall squarely under the legislatures Article I powers and no administration can claim executive privilege as to the details. Not to mention that by receiving payment the telecomm have engaged in a business practice which may violate their service agreements and be liable for those breaches.

I'll put up the C-SPAN video as soon as it's available.

UPDATE:

Sen. Judiciary Cmte. Hearing on Justice Dept. Oversight (January 30, 2008)

Attorney General Michael Mukasey testifies at a Justice Dept. Oversight hearing. Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) chairs this Senate Judiciary Cmte. proceeding.

Morning Session
Afternoon Session

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home